Friday, December 19, 2008

Charity.. the Pure Love of Christ

During this Christmas session we had the opportunity as a family to give to the Bishop Toy House. This is where you can take new toys and give them to Deseret Industries and they take them to a special room where families can go pick out new toys for their children for Christmas. I decided to take my kids along to show them where these toys would go and to help them understand better why we give things and to feel the wonderful spirit that accompanies you while you do good for others. I was a little apprehensive because I thought that Paige and Johnny would want all the toys and not want to give them up. I was pleasantly surprised when Paige took one of the bags and saw that a Hannah Montana doll had fallen out and quickly put it back into the bag.(She loves Hannah Montana, so this was a great thing for her). There was no fussing or whining for toys. They willingly and joyfully gave these toys away. It made me feel so good that they are learning about giving to others that may not have as much as we do. Today Paige also showed that she understand giving to others. In her classroom they have a class store where you can buy things with tickets that you have earned through out the week. Today she got into the car after school and was so excited to show me what she had purchased at her store today. She had purchased something for her brother Johnny. She knew that he liked lizards and she bought him one (a toy one of course). She used most of her tickets to purchase her brother something. This made me so happy that she is learning this concept of giving. And sometimes giving to others means sacrificing something that we may want. I hope that as a family that we can remember that giving is not only a Christmas thing that there are many others who struggle throughout the entire year and who need our help all the time. I am so grateful for the many blessings I have in my life and I am so grateful for my Savior and what he has done for me. I hope that I can be a little better at remembering his birth all year and not just this season.

1 comments:

The Addams Family said...

That is SO sweet that Paige used her tickets to buy something for Johnny. It just makes me want to cry! I love it when kids do stuff like that!